Sunday, September 11, 2011

We're Wild About Our Heroes

In honor of September 11th, we had a Hero Day Parade at our school. We made banners and waved flags as community firefighters, police officers, military personnel, etc. paraded around the front of our school with their families. It was such a great time to see our students walking with and cheering on these wonderful, everyday heroes.





My husband and I also wanted to do something for some of our local firefighters and police officers so the hubbie cooked up several batches of cookies and brownies ( I made the cards :) and delivered them. He made a comment that made me really think, though, about how we shouldn't just honor those who serve and protect on special days/holidays. Why not do something special to show our gratitude on any random day of the year??? Great idea! I've really felt a calling to do more service and outreach in my church and community.  Even our school motto this year highlights our support for the community where we live and getting involved in community service projects. Just think of the possibilities if we all get involved to support and serve!

1 comment:

  1. How nice of you and your husband. I, too, have been thinking about needing to get more involved in church and our community. How true---why recognize them just during the holidays? I'm thankful for them year round!!! Thanks for posting this!!

    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete